Monday, April 07, 2003

I did not think I'd have a hard time writing a story for children!

I've realized I could not start properly without knowing how I wanted my story to finish. Then it's not enough to have an idea of a story, of a beginning and an end...

You gotta create a personnality for you main character, even a way of talking! Then you have to enter your character's mind to *feel* his reactions in different situations. Huuuuuuuu, I've spent my day trying to think like a 8 years-old boy! Talking of that, I've seen a boy that age asking his mom for a barbie today. I thought boys wanted kens!

Anyway, after creating your character, you have to create a universe around him, a universe that shall mean something to kids!!! ... //oO\\

Then you can go back to the story itself and start something. Ok, you've the beginning + the main character to lead you to the end. Time to explore this labyrinth!

But you know it's a book for children, so you've to keep in mind it must be about 14 pages (average it seems). The labyrinth will be short but not easier at all!

So finally you start typing words. Full, pleasant sentences appear on the screen. Getting easier then? Oh nenene, because you had forgotten you've to chose an age category for your "readers". You don't use the same words for 2 years-old angels than for 10 years old ones!

Ok, I have to re-start again keeping in mind so many "parameters" that inspiration's getting blocked!

Thank Gawd, I've not given up. Good or not I wanted to do it and I've just finished. Martin and I will read and re-read it this week. I told Martin I'd make an effort to accept criticism. I think he doubted that.
hehe

No comments: