Friday, February 06, 2004

Yesterday I watched something on tv about Faroe Islands. Beautiful place though a bit too isolated for me :)

After discovering their culture, they showed their traditions... including "whaling" or whales hunting.
I'm usually kinda open -in a very moderate way- when it comes to fishing or even hunting. I eat meat and fish and that would be weird to denounce violently something I support in some way.

But despite coming from a family where a good hunting on sundays in the rainy countryside was the top of the top (rolling eyes), I hate it since I've heard how rabbits could cry.
I'll never hunt, of that I'm sure.

Coming back to my topic (lol), yesterday they showed the traditional Faroe whale hunting.
People there think we city people don't understand them, that we fantasy too much on whales being special creatures, etc.

But the way they hunt and kill whales there is terrible! They all push them with their boats to the beach (poor animals, they could dive below the boats to escape but they're lost with all the noise in the water!).. and there on the beach, happy people wait for them with knives!!!!!
Martin could not stand this butchery and went to have a whisky. I could not stand it either but *needed* to know how far human beings could go just to have a "happy time".
So much blood, a sea of blood. Disgusting.

Far worst than ugly fox hunt.

I think there is a big difference killing an animal because you gotta eat or killing it because it's the tradition and it shows you're a real man once you've done it.

And there's another difference in the way animals are killed. When it's quick and aparently without pain, or instant one, I find it the best that can be done. But this way... and with whales!!!!!

...

I wonder.... imagine that in their next life, hunters come back in the shape of the animals they've killed..... (G)

No comments: