Monday, October 04, 2004

"Do seasons have sex?" ...

That was the question a Spanglish (English+Spanish) friend asked me the other day.

After one second imagining seasons on heat, I got it (Gawd, I'm being so slow).. he was wondering about the seasons' gender!
hehe

Do you associate some seasons to female, others to male?

When he asked me that, it was obvious for me that all seasons were associated to females.
Dunno, it sounds the way it is. Each season brings new stuff, even winter. New weather, new atmospheres, zillions of new thingies that look like births to me.
So yup, to me seasons are female!

The funny thing is that in French, the four seasons get the male gender!!! I was really surprised when I realized that.
Time to change some linguistics rules here ;-)

In Spanish, apparently only winter gets the male gender. In Deutsch, all get the male gender.
Funny.

My Spanglish friend -a man- thought I was being typically sexist and feminist with my answers! hehe..
(shrugging)


"L'Amour dans les Quatre Saisons" de René Saint-Léonard

No comments: