Sunday, November 07, 2004

Hamburg #4: Laterne, Laterne, Sonne Mond und Sterne

During our trip to Hamburg, I discovered with much excitment that up there they use to do "lantern processions" at the end of autumn (usually on St Martin's day! lol), to celebrate the end of harvest, the beginning of cold times, etc.


click here


Lola luuuved it naturally!!! The music, the candles , the beautiful home made lanterns everywhere!

You should have heard all the kids singing like angels the apparently usual

Laterne, Laterne, Sonne, Mond und Sterne.
Brenne auf, mein Licht, brenne auf, mein Licht,
aber nur meine liebe Laterne nicht!


Wawwww**~~*^* *

And I fell in love with these lanterns. I used to do such processions in France when I was a kid in summer, and I know the beauDiful chinese lantern tradition... But it was different there. The charm of the cold northern countries meeting the warmth of these coloured lights...


click here


(waving back at the grannies above)

Of course, all my photos looked like shit. It was raining, it was dark and the only option I know on my cam is "click here to take the pic"! hehe

No comments: