Monday, May 16, 2005

Referendidadoomdadada

For those who do not live in France, it's been 3 months now the media talk and talk only about the next referendum.
End of May, we can vote for a new text which is much more than a simple text, the new terms of the European constitution.
It determines more or less how Europe will work and the referendum asks if we accept the rules of it, or not.

The whole story of it is so Frawnch, everybody fighting for a yes or a no. People having opposite views within same families as in same political parties.
It's very funny at the end.

As a German, Martin is very suprised about how it goes here... He thinks French are definatly strange in a kind of "unique" way. He can't help thinking we French just can't accept something without saying "no" before or making always new revendications. It's simply not in our nature. hehe

Anyway, I've finished reading (most of) the constitution, long and boring. I haven't read all of it, oh nenene, I'm not masochist!!!
I've given up with the last big part, about the banking system, the financial system, etc. Which does not interest me at all.

But the beginning is really ok.
Actually, with so many people being ready to vote "no" to it, I expected to find in it terrible lines about our social rights, etc, etc.
Which was not the case at all.
But it's my view, ok, some might read it differently.

I actually made that reading my way, adding some + or - near about every important points. The final result (amount of + or -) would make my vote.
I was ready to change my mind if there were more - at the end!

I wonder what makes people vote against it really, there are no big change with the kind of Europe we have right now.. Besides, Europe's powers are limited. The States have most powers in 80% of the fields (thank gawd).
But again, maybe I'm stoopid and I haven't read it properly!

Anyway, I won't vote against Europe, which is the point really. Wether you are for it, wether you aren't. The terms of the Constitution respects our rights, freedom, social protection, environment and the power of the countries (of course I would have liked more about these points than about the money stuff).

And I'm not going to vote for or against the government, which is not the point at all.

Now really when I think of myself defending my views for weeks about this topic, while I had no idea about what was in this fookin constitution, I feel stoopid.
And I feel that's scary many people will vote yes or no without caring for the real stuff. Making it personnal and political.

PS: did you know that in Germany, when the constitution was voted, there has been demonstrations from German people against it, and these people carried Frawnch flags as a symbol of disagreement!!!! LOL
Our reputation...(shaking head)... I tell you! hehe

No comments: