Monday, September 05, 2005

Next book, pulease :P

Nooo, don't run away because we talk *books* today! (lol I am talking to meself here actually! //oO\\)
If you don't know what to read, or if you really trust me ;-), I recommand 3 books below! Summer's almost gone, time to be a bit serious again, huh (s)

Harry Potter & the goblet of fire by JK Rowling
It took me some time to start with the 4th book. I reckon it was nice to find again the Potter environment and characters! Full of imagination, very creative.
...But it was way too long! Some passages takes pages to tell the same thing!
And the ending, huuuu... (spoiler!!!) the ending looks as if the author had no idea about it before actually writting it. Like...(turning my finger in the air, then pointing): the badddie gonna be this one! ;-)
I got bored enough and lost any motivation to read Harry Potter #5 (Martin told me Harry started in it his teenager's crisis and he turned really boring, boring enough to make us wanna Voldemort catch him! lol)
BUT the movie trailer sounds very kewl! Much better than the book (since you do not have the 700 something pages ;-)

The Briar King by Creg Keyes
Woaaaa, it's been ages I've read something I really enjoyed in the Fantasy field. But I luuuved this one! You follow different characters (not typical "Fantasy" characters btw), jumping from one to another, chapter after chapter. You just can't keep holding your breath wondering what will happen next. I know what will happen next: I'll buy the new book of the series that will be available 2 months :P

GĂ©ants et Dragons by Edouard Brasey
Interesting at the beginning but I quickly got bored. Just a succession of lil stories and facts about giants and dragons.

Harry Potter & the half-blood prince by JK Rowling
Ohh what a guuud surprise! One of my favourite in the series! I really liked it! As usual since few books, some passages are a bit too long... but the patern of this 6th book is very different, I like the way the characters are now (they've changed!) and for once it did not end with a big final Lord Voldemort's "I'll be back". No it's simply different. I can't wait for the next one!!!
spoiler for Martin who's reading it: HP's gonna discover Snape is his cousin, Ron's gonna have wild sex with Madame Maxime, and Hermione will start cheating at exams!! OMG!

Survivre by Xavier Maniguet
or "How to survive in a hostile environment"
A book I discovered by chance really, and when I opened it I just could not stop reading it.
The author, in a most professional way, tells you the basic situations that may happened in extreme conditions. How people usually react, what must be done, and what must not, etc. And he always remind us true (trully incredible) stories that happened, to "illustrate" what he's talking about.
Even if I'm not directly concerned with such adventures (lost in the desert, on the sea, etc), you learn a lot of basic stuff to help you in the worst situations.
The chapters I really enjoyed "Heat and Cold", "Surviving within a group", "Being lost on the sea", "the Desert" or the influence of the "Stress" (stress can be really positive or lead you to death, depending on how you express it!)
I've learnt a lot (like how to catch a seagul with the hands, lol)

No comments: