Monday, February 12, 2007

A few feet under

The funerals the other day went "ok".
As "ok" as funerals can be, of course.

It was good to see so many relatives, that does not happen often. Too bad Death is almost the only one to have this "gathering" power. Weddings too, but people do not marry so much around us, they rather *paxxx* (the "PACS" is "a French Civil Solidarity Pact which offers legal status to all unmarried, heterosexual and homosexual couples").
And people do not celebrate very often their PACS! :(

So if weddings are not popular anymore, you can be sure Funerals will always bring people together! Not bad?!... (call me missOptmistic, not enjoying a "half empty" bottle, huh :P)

At the same time, funerals are like a mirror, reflecting your future own death, the death of those you love. This woman, missing so deeply her husband, that will be me one day. Or you.
This beloved relative lying in that horrible wooden box will be my final bed and the one of those I love. Argg. Why can we never get used to the idea that life and death go hand in hand...

Btw, I will not end in a coffin... I'm more a "ashes to ashes" one.

I hate knowing my grand-parents are lying in their box (though not yet eaten by worms because they've been "prepared" to look nice for 10 years you know).
I hate that idea. And French cemeteries look so awful. No, I won't go there :)
And don't tell me that once you're "done", "where you are" does not matter anymore. I think it does, for those who remain!


La Mort et le Malheureux par Granville

No comments: