Saturday, December 13, 2008

Ode to Betty Page

Betty Page has just died, but really the Betty Page we love died years ago, didn't she? ...

It is strange, because the *pin-up*, the icon she's been, has never been a *problem* for me. I have never seen her as an object, a toy for men. Though I think she was precisely all of that.
I'm not sure she had great fun as a pin-up... did she ever know that for many of us girls, she was an icon of freedom (at a time when nekkid women were ignored, denied, not publicly accepted), a woman proud of her own body, a woman who smiles at the cam but will never let herself tame by it? Her poses and attitudes echoing a certain happiness with life, celebration of it. (and I don't tell that she was happy here, she pretends, and that's what we get)
The more she smiles the more sexy she gets. Is Hapiness the key to sexyness? Probably for me, yes.

Anyway, she's an icon. Often inspired me in my paintings. If there's one thing I love in women, it's their feminity. Let's be sexy and proud of it.

Merci Betty **~~*^* * *

No comments: